Re: How to mount early engine in later car

To: image77@ibm.net
Subject: Re: How to mount early engine in later car
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:39:09 EST
Yes you can. I've recently finished up that swap for a customer.
 One problem you will run into.
 on the earlier block (pre 18V), there is a slight bulge on the left
side, just where the rear mount bolt should go. There is no way you are
going to get a nut into the hole, no way no how.If you try to put the
bolt in first then lower the engine, the "bulge" will press on the head
of the nut, twisting the mount rubber (not good)
 My solution (which I quickly admit is not the only one), is to change
that bolt to a stud. I did this by removing the mount plate and
countersinking the bolt hole. Then  inserted a 5/16 X 3/4 SAE Fine flat
head bolt into the hold, and tack welded it in place. Grind the weld
smooth (for looks) and re intalled the plate.
 It's a bit fiddly getting that nut started, but not any worse than any
of the others.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget