BGT Suspension Problem

Subject: BGT Suspension Problem
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:23:03 +1000
Hi all - err again <G>

While I'm here I thought I'd mention a problem I have with my GT which I
can't solve and it's driving me nuts!

Having rebuilt both the front and rear end of the car with new lever arm
dampers and all rubber bushes etc I'm faced with the rear of my car
rebounding when hitting a bump. Let me explain. If I hit a bump in the road
the front suspension absorbs the impact fine but when the rear hits it it
tends to bounce up and down a couple of times. This makes for a very
uncomfortable ride (like being seasick) and occurs at all speeds. It's hard
to explain but the car feels 'unbalanced' like the front is set higher than
the rear and the rear is trying to 'catch up' with the front. Confused? I
am! <G> If I do a bouce test on the rear of the car it appears ok but its
not when driving. Could this be faulty dampers or the oil in the dampers not
thick enough etc etc? It is better with more fuel on board, passenger etc
but not by much.

Everything was changed for new in the rear except the leaf springs which
appeared to be ok. I never had this problem before the suspension was
rebuilt.

Cheers,
Neil.