RE>Steel vs. Wire+New Steering Wheel

To: MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE>Steel vs. Wire+New Steering Wheel
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:54:34 -0800
I've got to say that I don't feel badly about having a bolt-on steel wheel
car...Wires are high maintenance, generally require tire tubes (making
things a little more dodgy after a puncture), and, while they are unlikely
to come off if the correct hub is on the correct wheel, worn spline "thunk"
as the wheel continues to go after the hub has stopped is a common problem
with older hubs/wheels.  I like the old set of 6x14 Panasports I've got a
lot. Suitably period aftermarket look if you don't have wires.  The
Minitours that Moss is selling these days are OK, but look a little chunky
in the center to me.

On another subject, I just replaced the steering wheel on my '64 B with a
LeCarra/MotoLita (sic?) leather rimmed GT wheel, and changed the upper
bushing while I was at it.  Makes a great difference in the feel of the
steeing...even with a rebuilt front end, the looseness of the column and
the springiness of the thin-rimmed stock wheel made the steering seem
loose.  The car definitely seems more "chuckable" now.

I would highly recommend these steering wheels.  They have a great line of
wood rimmed wheels, too.  I chose the leather for the feel, and because I
have visions of picking splinters out of my chest if I were to have a real
accident.  I bought mine direct from the company, in Colorado (well, they
really come from France...)  The sales people on the phone were very
helpful.  Greater selection and cheaper by $40-50 than getting same thing
from Moss Motors.  (No financial interest...)

The red plastic bushings that Moss sells for early B's is a definite
improvement over the white nylon OEM type one they were selling a few years
ago.  My old bushing came out without removing the steeing column...it was
that loose.  The new one had to be driven in with a mallet, after removing
the steering column from the tube.  It is keyed to the column tube, and
only goes in one way.  I was afraid the column would be tight in the
bushing after all that bashing, but it works without binding.  A great
improvement.

Cheers,

Chris Attias
'64 MGB