Re: First british car...

To: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: First british car...
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:26:14 +0000
Karl Shultz wrote:

> 1. Is there any way to repair those "lift-a-dot" things?  Some of the
> wires seem to be pulling out of them and they're becoming useless.  And
> it will be cold soon...

Replacement is quite straightforward.

> 2. Transmission.  This is the one that bothers me.  The car simply won't
> go into gear unless I rev up the engine.  This technique works with the
> pedal in, so I don't think it's the syncros (it also shifts fine when
> rolling).  Sometimes if I try for fourth (??) at a stoplight, it will go
> into fourth, and then first os fine.  Strange.

I have never had a car that didn't sometimes baulk going into first or
reverse.  You mention attempting fourth often allows first to engage -
If I can't get first I flick it towards second then have another go and
it (almost always, sometimes I have to do it twice) does the trick.  If
you are revving the engine with the car at a standstill (rather than
doing clutchless changes) then a little bit of clutch drag is probably
just moving the gears enough to get past the baulk.

PaulH.