Racing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Racing
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:59:50 EST
<<In that respect, I am somewhat envious of Triumph, Austin-Healy, and other
marques for the rich racing heritage.  It seems most of the MG's victories
were from the pre-war cars and thats where they really made their name. >>

Skye - MG's history wasn't much less distinguished than the other marques.
EX 181 held land speed records in class, accomplished with a 300 bhp Twincam
motor, until a few years ago when a GM car surpassed the times set in the
fifties.

The Healeys concentrated on rallies and did very well there, being rugged and
a bit heavy for road racing. With the exception of a Mk 2 Deluxe, 151 ABL,
which did fairly well, the MGA stuck to road racing, where it did quite well.
The Twincam coupe handily beat the Triumph TRS cars at Le Mans, for example.

I think that you are correct in stating that more attention could have been
paid to the later MGB factory cars, though.

Bill S.
Vancouver