Re: Steel Wheels vs. Wires

To: "Keith Wheeler" <keithw@sand.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Steel Wheels vs. Wires
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:24:28 -0500
On 11/8/98 12:32 PM so and so (Keith Wheeler) said. (And I quote:)

>Larry Clark wrote:
>
>>Mike said:
>>>    Of course, for the original poster who intends to race the car,
>>>this is useless logic.  I don't blame you - I'd love to autox my >MGB,
>>>but I won't dare try it with wire wheels.
>>
>>On the contrary, my dad used to regularly dust Corvettes in auto crosses
>>in our '66 MGB on a West Texas air base. Of course, he designed the
>>(very tight) courses. :) I'm just now having the wire wheels replaced as
>>part of a full pro restoration.
>
>I might've autocrossed a 'B way back when on wires with old bias ply
>tyres and all, but I don't think I'd try it today.  I think today's
>autocross tyres could really change the equation.  Someone with wires
>who just wanted to try it (in other words no investment into tyres
>that have "R" somewhere in their nomenclature) would be fine, as
>long as the wheels are in decent shape.
>
>-Keith Wheeler
>Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/
I have to agree. I auto-xed my Midget for a few years - about 8-9 years
ago. The car, and wire wheels, were 10 then. Today, I doubt that I would
do it on the same wheels. If I had a new set ??? If you don't over do the
tires and auto-x in the correct category, new or rebuilt wires should be
fine. If you get serious, get steel or mag wheels. I do miss the fun of
the auto-x though.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?