UK license plates

To: MG list server group <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: UK license plates
From: Michael Eaton <eatons@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:38:42 -0500
A question for the UK guys.  My father recently purchased an MGA twin
cam coupe which was originally sold in England.  He received the
original logbook with the car as well as a 1972 or 1977 tax disc which
bears the cars UK registration plate (matching the logbook).  Well the
plate number contains the letters "MG" in it which I understand is
pretty rare since vanity plates are not generally available over
there.  I am curious to know if there is a way to find out whether
these plate are still associated with the car, if so, what can my
father do to ensure that they stay associated in case he or I were
ever to bring the car back over the pond.  Thanks for any help.
Michael Eaton
1959 twin cam
1962 deluxe