Re: UK license plates

To: Michael Eaton <eatons@erols.com>
Subject: Re: UK license plates
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:57:25 +0000
Michael Eaton wrote:

> A question for the UK guys.  My father recently purchased an MGA twin
> cam coupe which was originally sold in England.  He received the
> original logbook with the car as well as a 1972 or 1977 tax disc which
> bears the cars UK registration plate (matching the logbook).  Well the
> plate number contains the letters "MG" in it which I understand is
> pretty rare since vanity plates are not generally available over
> there.  I am curious to know if there is a way to find out whether
> these plate are still associated with the car, if so, what can my
> father do to ensure that they stay associated in case he or I were
> ever to bring the car back over the pond.  Thanks for any help.
> Michael Eaton
> 1959 twin cam
> 1962 deluxe

'MG' plates, whilst being rare are not unknown since 'MG' was a London
registration (my own V8 has an original 'MGS' registration).  University
Motors also obtained a lot of 'UMG' registrations.  My 98 MG calendar
has pictures of a Tourer and a Midget both with 'MG' plates.  With the
original registration documents I think (!) you would be able to get the
original number back, since old numbers are supposed only to be reissued
on this basis.   You might like to try writing to:

DVLC
SWANSEA
SA99 1AR
WALES

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as vanity plates here as all
plates have to conform of one of several combinations of letters and
numbers according to year of first registration, although a car can bear
an 'older' registration, but not a newer.  However this does not prevent
all sorts of jiggery-pokery with numbers cut to look like letters and
and vice-versa, strategically placed bolts of the appropriate colour,
non-standard spacing etc etc, all of which are technically illegal.

PaulH