Re: recent purchase

To: Matthew J Grygar <grygar@utdallas.edu>
Subject: Re: recent purchase
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:23:13 -0500
Matthew J Grygar wrote:

> Greetings all,
>         This past weekend I drove to Houston an purchased a 69 MGB.  The
> car has been sitting in a garage for the past eight years and prior to
> that in someones backyard for another ten.  The previos owner, the one who
> had is garaged, had given up restoring it and "gave" it to me for $400.
> It is complete and has a newly restored interior, complete with wooden
> dash and a good center consel.

With a "wooden dash", it most certainly is not complete.  Not as far as
being a 1969 model!

The engine compression tests all came out
> in the 150s so the engine is good.  The body is in great shape, no
> sign of wrecks or dents anywhere.

You're doggone lucky there.

>The Wiring is a completely bastardized but I hope to work it out with >an
>electrical engineer friend
>of mine.  He plans on bastardizing it even more but as long as it runs,
> why not?  It does have the dual su carbs which need some serious care.  My
> question to the group is a spare parts question.  Does anyone have or know
> where I can get a decent weber to put in it for less then the price I paid
> for the car?

At the risk of alienating certain folks on the list, I would have to
suggest spending your money on rebuilding the SUs.  The biggest expense
would be having the throttle shafts rebushed - the most I've seen being
charged for that job is $90 for two carbs.  Then you buy the rebuild kit
from your favorite supplier and install the new parts.  Much cheaper
than going for the Weber downdraft, and much more compatible with the
engine.  This, of course, is merely IMHO.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/