Re: New O/D question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New O/D question
From: martens@auditor.sk.ca
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:10:23 -0600
Thanks for the input.

Bob Howard noted the following diagnosis from Bentley (useful info not in
Haynes):

Overdrive slips when engaged
  1) insufficient oil in gearbox.
  2) Low hydraulic pressure.
      a) Pump non return valve not seating.
      b) Relief valve not seating.
      c) Solenoid valve not seating.
      d) Partially blocked pump or relief valve filter.
  3) Worn or glazed clutch lining.

Lawrie Alexander leans toward cause #3:
"It sounds as though the clutch linings on the sliding member are shot."

Is it possible to rule out the #2 causes before considering #3?

What are the symptoms of the conditions of items #2 a to d?
For example, at 50 mph, I have no trouble switching into and out of o/d -
it responds,
therefore my understanding of the purpose of a solenoid valve would lead me
to believe
it is working properly.

How can I determine whether the other valves are defective - either by
drive testing
or by inspection?

Trying to learn more,
Andrew Martens