Re: Zenith-Stromberg to SU conversion

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Zenith-Stromberg to SU conversion
From: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 01:54:11 +0000

>>With all the knowledgeable folks on the list (I enjoy reading the really
>>detailed technical responses based on experience even if I don't know
>>what every sixth or seventh word means), does anyone have advice for a
>>novice to accomplish this conversion on a '76B?  I could use any and

I did this on my '80 five years ago and I highly recommend it.

Parts needed:

Pre 1974 heat shield
Pre 1974 intake and exhaust manifold.
Spacers and gaskets for attaching the SUs to the manifold.
New manifold gasket.
New head pipe gaskets.
Pre 1974 head pipe.
New nuts and washers to attach the manifolds to the cylinder head
and to attach the head pipe to the exhaust manifold.  (These are not
absolutely necessary, but will make things easier.)
Flat air filters (The stock SU filter will not fit between the rear
carb and the brake booster.)
If the intake manifold that you buy does not come with an adaptor for
the brake servo, you wil need one of these.
Choke cable if your ZS still has the automatic choke.

Remove the original carb and exhaust/intake manifold.

Remove or cut off the old head pipe, leaving enough of the exhaust pipe
so that you can splice in the pre-1974 head pipe.  You will probably
need a sleeve and a couple of muffler clamps to go over this joint.

There should be a threaded plug somewhere on your intake manifold
with the same size and thread as the brake servo adaptor.  Remove
this plug and replace it with the servo adaptor.

Install a new manifold gasket and the pre-1974 exhaust and intake
manifolds.

Install the heat shield, spacers and gaskets on the intake manifold
in the following order:  gasket, heat shield, gasket, spacer, gasket.

Set up the carbs on the bench with the linkages in place betwen them
and carefully "offer them up" (as the manual says) to the studs on
intake manifold.

You can use the picture on page 14 of the Moss catalog (April 13, 1998)
as a guide for routing the emission system hoses.

Connect the throttle cable whichever way it appears to make sense
depending on the throttle linkage.

Same for the choke cable.

Connect the brake servo hose to the adaptor.

You may have to play around a bit with the timing.  I find that mine
runs very well at about 15 degrees BTDC

Hope this helps.  Email me off line if you have more questions.

Peter Schauss, Long Island, NY
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB