Re: MGA - Oil Filter

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGA - Oil Filter
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 08:04:44 -0400
In <014301be118a$e927eee0$457828aa@allenbob.dstsystems.com>, on 11/16/98
   at 11:59 AM, "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net> said:

>You might consider squirting kerosene or diesel into the cylinders if
>you're going to let it sit for awhile. This might break free any stuck
>rings. It also might not. It will, enventually contaminant the oil,
>though, but it won't do anything else detrimental. I don't see the benfit
>of putting oil into the cylinders if you're not about to fire it up.

>Three years is not a 'long time' except for what it will do to gasoline
>and water pump/heater valve seals. Have you done a compression test yet?
>--

Thanks for your comments

After chatting with the local gurus at last night's weekly club session, I
concluded that I should be able to try to start it with minimal fuss.
Concensus is the 'soaking' is not realy required because, as you say,
three years is a relatively short time in the life of a non running
engine.  So I will squirt some oil into the cylinders so that is is some
lube available and then try turning it.  Good point about the seals.

Sometime this week i will try a compression check.

Preston