Re: Drilling out screws

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, "MG Nuts" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Drilling out screws
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:57:08 -0600
Skye,
   If you didn't use too big a bit to drill out the screw, you should be
able to use and tool
called an easy-out to remove it.  This is a tungsten carbide  bit sort of
thing that threads
into the whole you drilled and turns counter-clockwise, biting into the
screw and threading
it out if all goes well.  Two problems with it, if the whole is too big
 not enough of the screw
left), the easy-out will expand the screw causing it to bite into the hole
worse, or the other
thing that can go wrong is if the screw is really rusted/stuck you can apply
too much torque
to the easy-out and it will snap off.  Then you really have a problem.
   Another option is if you can drill right down the center of the screw you
can drill most of it
out and use a scribe or other sharp implement to unwind the remaining screw
threads out of the
hole.
   From what you've said, I think you're probably past the number two
option, so I guess its
down to number one.  You didn't say where the broken screw is located, but
the suggestion
of applying a little heat may help.  The difference in the expansion rates
between the screw
and it's surrounding hole will usually break loose any rust holding it and
allow the easy-out to
remove it fairly easily.  Just remember, take it slow and don't try to force
it.
Good luck.
Harlan.