Re: Drilling out screws

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Drilling out screws
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:01:31 -0800
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I knocked the heads of the screws off
(the ones that were left that is, as I tried to use vice grips on the heads
of some and it twisted their heads right off) so that I could remove the
part that I was removing the screws to get off in the first place.  Anyway,
the part the screws are rust-welded to (the headlamp fixing ring behind the
fender in case anyone's curious) is coming out anyway, so if I wreck it, it
doesn't really matter - I'm going to try using a slightly larger bit and
then collapsing the side of the screw with my center punch.

Seems like every time I go to restore or inspect a system the tin worm has
been having an all-you-can-eat buffet with the screws and bolts - I'm
probably removing things that were put together in Abingdon.  I was hoping
drilling out screws would be a quick and easy solution but it seems its
not the first choice, more like a last-ditch effort.

I should really pick up one of those small propane torches that screw onto
the top of a refillable bottle.  Ah well.  Never a shortage of new tools
to buy ;)

Thanks,
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key