Long boring Marina post

To: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Subject: Long boring Marina post
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:56:59 -0800
Bill:

        I spent my sordid teenagehood plowing around town in various
Marinas'  My dad decided that they were cheap transportation.  I decided
they were the closest thing I could get to a sports car.  I did a lot of
driving in the Colorado rockies both on and off road.  My interests in
European rallying meant that my 2 dr 74 Marina GT saw a lot of use on
T.S.D. road rallies.  Since I got lost a lot we ended up spending many
fun hours of "making up time".  Beating the heck out of my daily
(pretty) ride started to cause problems, so I transferred assorted "go
fast" bits to one of my dad's 4 door parts cars.  Twin carbs, front and
rear Adco sway bars, Koni front shocks and stripping all the sound
deadening and interior made a young man's dream of a pro rally car.  A
brace of driving lights and I was ready for the T.S.D. circuit.  After a
year of terrorizing smaller "real" sports cars I was approached by a
friend who was organizing a real "Pro Rally".  I offered to help and was
rebuffed.  He wanted me to add a roll bar and be one of the competitors.
So college homework got set aside and my room mate and I prepped the car
for real racing.  Roll bar, seatbelts, helmets and we were ready.  That
poor Marina, nicknamed "The Maroon Saloon" finished the four regional
events run in Colorado.  Unbelievably I received contingency money from
British Leyland and from SEV Marchal.  The car met it's demise on the
first Colorado national rally, where a tire deflated in mid air.  Upon
landing the car swerved into a soft berm which bent the left front
suspension.  I was able to drive the car off the mountain, albeit with
wheels pointing in very different directions.  The good news for the
evening was that I had made it further than John Buffum, ex British
Leyland star, whose Audi had broken down 1/2 mile before my crash.
        The shell of the car was starting to fail, and I had plans to
build up an MGB GT so the car was scrapped.  Unfortunately I was made
unemployed and plans to build another car had to be put aside.  The
Marina got one last jaunt as I cut the roof off and drove it around a
bit with the roll cage holding it together.  It did make an interesting
open car.
        The engine continued a number of years of service in my MGB
until the Isky cam went flat and the crank got chewed up.  The pretty 2
dr GT was later totaled by a girl friend.  Spoilt by the joys of MGB
ownership the car was not replaced.  My family continued to run Marinas'
until last year when my sister in law totaled her 3rd.  I made a
whirlwind trip to the homestead in Colorado to go through the tons of
spare parts that they had accumulated.  I wince when I think of the
parts that were scrapped.  I salvaged as much MG stuff as I could and
shipped the valuable Marina parts to Skip Harris in Arkansas.  He
specializes in Marina stuff and is a very nice guy.  To give you an idea
of how deep we were into the cars, the shipment included 6 N.O.S.
exhaust systems.
        Yes the Marinas' had flaws, no I would not own another.  But
god's I have some wonderful memories of time spent in them.  I now have
a collection of MGs' that hearken back the kid with the glass pack
equipped Marina.

Kelvin.
58 Magnette
2 x 58 MGA