MGA 62 1600 Mk II - Oil filter again!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA 62 1600 Mk II - Oil filter again!!
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:15:18 -0400
Thanks to all those who responded to my previous questions.

In a previous note I was aking questions about the oil filter which my
MOSS MGA catalogue (which I received today) tells me uses a late model
Tecalemit head assy (no 139 on page 7 of the 13 Apr 98 edition of the
catalogue (MGA-17)).

The catalogue also tells me that the same sealing ring (#136) is used
between the cannister and the head and between the head and the block.  I
had previously stated that the filters came with 3 different types of
sealing rings only one of which fit the head - cannister aperture.  So it
seems that the other two rings are for other applications and that i will
have to steal an appropriate sealing ring from one of the other two
filters.

I literallly had to dig the seal from the interior of the head because
there were two old seals stacked together (and they had seemingly fused
together as well as to the metal of the head).

I now see that there is an old shredded seal on the block side of the
head-block interface.  Here is  a pseudo image of the stack of components

block
seal #2
head
seal #1
cannister

As I said above both seal #1 and seal #2 are the same seal.  My problem is
that, since I do not have a pit or hoist and I can not drive the car to
such  a facility (but I do have the car on jack stands), I am unable to
get much leverage to scrape away the old gasket that is fused to the
block. Compounding the problem is a very distinct lack of space to get my
hands between the engine and frame.  I am using long thin sharp
screwdrivers and a long awl but neither is very effective.  Is there
something that I can spray or paint on the old seal that would perhaps
dissolve it (without harming the metal) or infiltrate between the seal and
the block to loosen the bond??  The seal is all chewed up and it is
obvious that previous owners have tried to remove it without success.

Thanks for any assistance you may offer

Oh yes - I will be purchasing a spin-on filter adapter as soon as
possible.  Only once am I subjecting myself to this goat rope.

Preston