Re: Dead new family member...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dead new family member...
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:44:32 -0500
"Andrew B. Lundgren" wrote:

> Yes it should spark very regularly and frequently.
> (Every other time the piston to which the wire pertains comes to the
> top of they cylinder on a four stoke engine.  Unless I am really
> confused!)

        That's about what I thought.

> Before you go that far try the cheap parts.  Pull of your distributor
> cap and inspect it for damage.  (You might want to shine up the
> contacts and gently scrape off the crud if you have any with a file.
> If the cap is cracked you have to replace it. If there is scoring
> across the black then you probably have spark trails, and have to
> replace the cap as well. (I have not seen the scoring before, so I for
> me it has not been that common.)  Check the rotor while you are in
> there and make sure the contacts look good.  Clean it off the same way
> you did the cap.  Then with a thin piece of metal polishing paper
> (forgot the name of this stuff.  It is redish looks like super fine
> sandpaper. ) clean the points contacts.  If you don't have the
> polishing paper you can try a super small file.  (wife's Emery board??
> but don't let her catch you and deny it if she asks.)  Make sure the
> points open and close as the engine is turned over. (With the cap and
> rotor off have your helper turn the engine over.)  If they don't open
> and close then adjust the point gap so it opens.  If the ridge that
> causes the points to open on the distributor is gone then the shaft is
> worn out.  (Probably not the case however.)  If the ridge is still
> there but the points won't adjust then they are probably worn out.  (If
> they are un adjustable I would expect this to be the problem.)  Replace
> them.  When you are done give the spark test another try.  If it sparks
> as it should you probably want to replace the cap, rotor, points and
> condenser when you get a chance.  But if it is sparking as it should
> you don't have to do it ASAP.  They are all really cheap as well.
> Under $15 for the whole deal.

        Thanks, you've given me a direction to go.

> >From your .signature you have another B that can help you out.  Try
> putting the coil from the other B in the bad B.  (If the other one
> runs!)  Run through the spark test again.  (sorry if this is obvious,
> but the coil is where the center wire on the distributor cap comes
> from.)

        Well, conveniently, the other B has the engine removed and at the shop,
so all the ancillary components are right here on a shelf.  <BG>

<snip>
> Go inside and post again.  But you should have found the problem by
> now.

        I would certainly hope so!

        Thanks for the comments!  I'll let you know what happens!

Chris
'72 B Roadster
'70 B Roadster