The Weekend

Subject: The Weekend
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:31:22 +1000
Hi all,

Well I had an enjoyable weekend. Went to Wakefield Park to watch a round of
Historic racing. Beautiful setting, great track & facilities and some simply
magnificent machines. Assortment of Pre War MG's, MG Specials, Gaggle of
A's, B's etc etc. Not to mention the other marques (Morgan, TVR, Lotus,
Jaguar, Holdens, Fords, Lola etc too many to mention). I've taken around 50
photo's, I'll select the best and shoot them up on a website for anyone
who's interested.

Well when I first arrived the noise was incredible, there were a bunch of
old single seater GP type cars racing - when I first saw this it almost put
me off competing! But when the B's came out on the track I suddenly wasn't
quite so scared by it all. ;) I guess there is race cars and then there's
race cars.... <VBG> I'm sure my MG will scare me quite enough by the time I
get it on the track - sorry I should have said 'I' will scare 'myself' quite
enough.. Off to driving school I think. <G> Seriously!!

Well I'm 1/2 through my carb rebuild. <G> I have 1 carb clean. <G> Sparkling
clean. I'm not going to replate, lacquer etc like some would do - I don't
see the point personally. But I tell you they look great, I've taken lots of
rebuild shots and when I'm finished I'll shoot a pic or two for my website
so you can see a newbie can actually do it with a bit of effort. I've had
quite a few Emails from people in similar circumstances so some pics may be
of interest. I also eliminated the leaking side cover problem with new
gaskets and bolt seals. This I think was the major cause of the grime and
probably had something to do with the wear on the carbs (throttle spindles).
I've had the bodies rebushed and fitted with new shafts the orig size. I did
find one thing out - degreaser is almost totally useless when there's such a
serious amount of oil & grease. The only thing that works that I have is
petrol. I did this in open air with a mask, saftey goggles and gloves. I
don't like doing this as I realise it's dangerous. But is there anything out
there you can use that will actually work and is less dangerous to handle?
Advice please! :) I only used petrol for cleaning the absolutely disgusting
front side cover (one with the breather). 1000 litres of degreaser couldn't
do it.

Well thats it from me for now, I'll be 'shining' that second carb tonight.
<G>  BTW Degreaser works well on cleaning the carbs (with some small soft
wire brushes, metal polish etc), but I sure wish I could buy some of that
dip tank style carb cleaner y'all can buy in the USA - would save hours and
hours of work. Not available in Australia.

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia