RE: Supercharging an MGB

To: "'Mike Lishego'" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>,
Subject: RE: Supercharging an MGB
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:06:34 -0500
Michael S. Lishego wrote:

> Remember though - somewhere around '73 or '74, MG
> started quoting their cars using the Brake HorsePower
> system.  The BHP system rates the engine  output
> at the drive wheels.  Before they switched to BHP, the
> engine was rated  at torque and HP right at the flywheel
> ...Hence the HP drop between '73 and  '74 where not many
> mechanicals changed.  Though the emissions stuff did suck
> some horsepower while the ZS carbs just plain sucked, the
> cars didn't loose that much power in the long run.

Uh ... *See Below* ... ;^)

Larry Clark wrote:

> Anyone know how 0-60 times compare from, say, a '66 to
> a '76 B?

Yep ... YMMV ...
                           Home    Fed
'61 MGA '62 MGB  '65 MGB '75 MGB '76 MGB
  13.7    12.2     12.9    12.1    18.3

... this confirms that the 3-main ('62) does 'wind' a bit
quicker than the early 5-main ('65) ... that the late
model 'Home Market' 5-main ('75) with it's larger valves
provided substantially more power that the late model
'Federal Market' 5-main ... IOW, before  the 'Federal
Market' '76 MGB hits 60mph the 'Performance Bimbo' '61
MGA is doing 70mph ... ;^)

Now where did I put my Nomex underwear ...

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII - Bob Allen certified 'Performance Bimbo'