Re: Help for the electrically challenged

To: <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Help for the electrically challenged
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:00:45 -0000
Denise - if you have a white/red at the solenoid then this would be a car
without a starter relay.  If you have a starter with integral solenoid with
two spades (in addition to the heavy current terminals) then this would be
for a car with a 6v coil with external ballast, as the additional, smaller
terminal feeds a full 12v to the + side of the coil during cranking to boost
the spark.

I think you must fit a starter relay, as I am fairly sure the pre-engaged
starter solenoid takes a heavier current than the remote solenoid, and this
will probably overload your ignition switch.

Your white/red must go to one of the winding terminals of the relay and a
ground to the other.  You need a thick brown onto one of the relay contacts,
and a white/brown from the other to the regular terminal on the solenoid.
As you almost certainly don't have the externally ballasted coil you can
leave the smaller spade empty.

PaulH.