Electrical Failure

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electrical Failure
From: "Jim Campbell" <ja_campbell@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:59:20 -0500
I'm a first time writer to this forum. I have the following problem on a
1978 MGB:
While driving one night, I noticed the tach, temp gage, fuel gage, and turn
signals no longer worked. Upon arrival at home, the following additional
items were OOC: heater blower, brakes lights, back-up lights, side markers,
wipers.

These items worked: the ignition(the car starts), radio, lights, fuel pump,
interior lights, and buzzer.

I concluded the problem to be with the ignition switch. Additionally, the
mechanical lock on the ignition switch does not lock the wheel after the key
is removed. I have no power to the source side of the fuse block on three of
four fuses.

I am debating whether to take the car to a shop to have the ignition switch
replaced(I've heard that job is not for the novice, home-garage mechanic) or
keep trying to find another(easier to fix) problem, but all clues point to
the ignition switch on the steering column.

Are there any other ideas? Should I attempt to undertake the switch
replacement and, if so, are there any helpful hints?
Thanks,
Jim Campbell
ja_campbell@msn.com