Hi-Po Dash Light Update

To: "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hi-Po Dash Light Update
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 02:21:50 -0500
Hello all,
    When I installed my Radio Shack dash lights back in...Um...May,
I was asked by a lister to keep the world updated as to their life.
(For those of you who missed this thread, Radio Shack sells a higher
performance bulb that will light up your gauges brighter than
standard.)  Anyway, after about 7 months, two of full-time driving,
one bulb has gone dead.  It was the water temp gauge, oddly enough,
closest to the rheostat.
    Two points on this observation to consider:  One, whenever I
drive the MGB, I always have my headlights on.  I figure it's just a
safety thing to keep Little Miss from getting crunched.  Two, I
realized on my way home from Thanksgiving dinner that my rheostat
was bumped up to full power.  Normally, I keep the lights down some,
as to not speed up their demise.  I have no clue how long it may
have been like that.
    I like the conversion, even if it means swapping bulbs every 7
months.  The increased visibility is definitely worth it, in my
book.  I was bright enough to keep the original Radio Shack bulb
wrapper, so identification for new bulbs shouldn't be a problem.  If
you would like the part number, let me know and I'll post it to the
list.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/