My Carbs (again <G>)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: My Carbs (again <G>)
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:59:48 -0800
Hiya,

Me again, surprise surprise!

I've got the carbs back on the B, all fuel lines connected etc but have
a two or three problems.

1) The fuel pump is still pumping once it has filled the float bowls.
Albeit slowly, click - wait - click and I'm losing fuel out the Charcoal
Cannister tube. What could this be? A Faulty cannister or the needle is
not sealing on one/both of my float chambers or a float problem itself?
My floats are made entirely of plastic and are non-adjustable (I didn't
see any like them in Lawries video). I'm a little concerned that I got
the wrong bits for the carbs, I got a slightly different needle that is
brass with a rubber tip, the old ones were a slotted black plastic type
with a metal tip... Are these incompatible with my float chamber lids
perhaps? I have new seats to match the needle, so I shouldn't think so.

2) After hooking the carbs up, including new heat shield and springs,
the throttle linkage appears quite firm, slightly binding, it moves down
ok-ish under the spring tension but it's nowhere near as free as it was
when I had the carbs off the car and playing with the linkage. Is this
ok? Or is it perhaps the additional sideways force (generated by
mounting them on the manifold) causing the washers on the spindle
linkage to bind? I don't really want to have to take the carbs off the
car again! <G> Bill said he normally removed these washers but didn't
say why (in a different conversation), I'm wondering if this is the
reason.

3) Which way should the choke linkage operate? I hope I've reconnected
this properly because they seem to require and upward movement to
operate the jets and not downwards.. I can't remember which way it used
to work. I haven't hooked up the air cleaners so I can't really reattach
the 'hoop' thingy that fits behind the carbs and attaches to the choke
cable.

After the carbs, I have to fit new points, condensor, rotor and cap to
the dizzy. My cap was stuffed. Still a bunch to do but I'm getting
there. After this my car of course is going to run like a Honda.. I will
also grow wings, fly away oinking and become a trillionaire overnight.
;))

Heck who wants their MG to run like a Honda anyways!!?!! Any help with
the above problems much appreciated, I'd love to get this all done this
weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :)

Cheers,
Neil.