Re: Battling -- B Rear Suspension

Subject: Re: Battling -- B Rear Suspension
From: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:12:58 -0600
Corrosion has welded the bolt to the metal spacer inside the rubber bushing, the
spacer has then broken loose from the bushing rubber.  After trying all sorts of
things to get the bolt out on my '71 MGB I ended up hacksaw the bolt inside the
bracket.  You will probably have to cut it on each side of the spring.  I forget
whether I used a regular hacksaw or one of the compact ones where the blade just
sticks out from the handle.  I DO remember that it turned out to be a lot easier
than I thought that it would be.  Just make sure and use a sharp blade.  When I
reassembled the suspension, I coated the shank of the bolt (where it passes
through the bushing) with grease.  When I disassembled it five years later, it
just slid right out!  That is one argument for keeping your car for awhile --
that way when you do things right, you can reap the benefits later.

Kevin Brown  '71 MGB  '65 MGB  '67 MGB  '74 TR6  '76 TR6  '89 MR2
Odessa, MO