Re: MG 1100 Saloon - engine info

To: Bernard De Coster <bernard.de.coster@itworx.be>
Subject: Re: MG 1100 Saloon - engine info
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:07:04 +0000
Hi Bernard!

Welcome to the MG 1100 fold!  There is an increasing number of us willing to
admit that we own these things. ;-)

If your engine is a Cooper S engine, it will have an extra head stud making it
10.  If the trans is a Cooper S trans, the shift arm will be bolted on with
bolts coming from (I think) the bottom rather than the sides.

Lucky you!  The Cooper S engine is very valuable because they're rare and the
Cooper S crowd is desperate for them (keep blowing them up and over-boring them,
doncha know).  I'm told by a Cooper S fanatic that the 1300 put in later MG
sedans is a much better engine.  1100 engines are cheap if not free because
people use the 1300 engine instead.  So sell the Cooper S for big bucks and use
the money for an 1100 or 1300 engine.  I was asking $1500 for the Cooper S
engine I have and may get it one of these days.

According to Mini people, and there are many Mini people, the hot setup is to
put MG 1100 brakes on Mini's.  Maybe the Cooper S calipers are better than the
stock MG calipers but there's nothing wrong with stock MG 1100 brakes.

Denise Thorpe
2 '63 MG 1100's
and a couple other MG's