Re:engine hoist (was Sump, Head etc.)

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re:engine hoist (was Sump, Head etc.)
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:19:14 -0500 (EST)
Neil I have posted this before but you may find it handy. You can buy or
rent an engine hoist to lift the engine but this gets expensive. What I
have set up in my garage works just fine and only cost a few bucks. Get 2
2x8's about 10 feet long. Clamp them together and cut a hole about 10"
from the top, make it about 2 1/2" in diameter. Nail one of the 2x8's to
one wall with the bottom of the board resting on the concrete floor. Put
the other 2x8 about 7 feet away (enough room to get the car between the
two) and steady it some how to the roof rafters, then run a few 3/4"
boards to the rear of the garage to steady the 2x8. Slip a heavy duty
1 1/2 or 2" pipe through the two holes and attach a chain fall or come
along and you are set. The 2x8's transfer all the engine weight to the
concrete floor so there is no stress on the garage ceiling. I have used
the same set up with a one car garage by attaching the 2x8"s to each side
of the door opening instead of the garage walls. Either way just make sure
that the pipe is strong, I got mine from the junk yard. The nice thing
about a pipe is that it won't suddenly snap like a beam could. If the pipe
is not strong enough it will bend as you try to lift the motor in which
case you simple stop what you are doing and get a 2" pipe.
...Art