Re: Success!

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Success!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 20:11:41 -0000
Chris - the advice not to remove the outer bearing race relates to when you
are just cleaning, regreasing or adjusting the existing bearings.  The outer
bearing races are what is left in the hub when all the other bits have
fallen out!  The inner race, rollers and shims of the outer bearing are
removed from the front of the hub, the spacer tube, inner race and rollers
of the inner bearing are removed from the back of the hub.  All these can be
removed with the outer races still in situ, and indeed should be in order to
drift out the old outer races.

When reassembling, do it dry while you decide on the right shims to give the
correct end-float (.002 to .004).  First of all, though, assemble without
any shims and tighten the hub nut till the bearings bind.  This seats the
outer races in the hub.  Then start adding shims.  The correct end-float is
achieved when removing the thinnest (.003) shim results in no end-float, and
adding it gives perceptible end-float.  Leave this shim in. (You could end
up with just .001 end-float, but the alternative is to use a clock gauge).

Now grease the races, working it in from one side only till it works through
to the other side.  Fill the cavity between the inner bearing and the oil
seal with grease and lightly grease the spacer, but do not fill the cavity
between the bearings, or between the outer bearing the the cap.

Refit the bearing retaining washer and nut, tightening it to 40lb ft, then
tighten further till a slot in the nut aligns with the hole (a hole?) in the
axle and fit a split pin.

Enjoy.
PaulH.