re: SOME MG's and Bad weather

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: SOME MG's and Bad weather
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 20:43:25 -0800
Hi all,

Speaking of Bad weather and MG's I'd like to relate an experience or two
I've had with my GT over the years. Kinda off subject but what the hell.

For ages we used to run 185 tyres on standard wire wheels - actually we
bought the car shod this way with some pretty funky Falken rubber. After
two semi-accident's (oily roads - everyone knows about this in Sydney
where we sometimes go months without rain - then it rains.. and.. you
guessed it!) both sliding related with the modern rubber the best thing
I ever did for my GT was fitting 165 Michelin MX tyres, low tech and
cheap. I honestly couldn't believe the difference in the handling,
comfort and controllability in all conditions (less grip of course in
dry conditions). These cars my B, A and further back were all designed
for these narrow tyres, I think largely because of Winter conditions
back in Mother England. <G>

Anyways my 2c. If you're having handling problems with your B, take a
look at the tyres - and try something not so wide and high tech. Just my
opinion, and I'll be changing the tyres for a wider, grippier rubber for
racing yes, but for day-day road conditions I found the 165's to be
wonderful. My A is even better on it's 155's! Can really get the back
end sliding - very controllably I might add in the wet. <G>

Cheers,
Neil.