69....the verdict

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 69....the verdict
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 16:19:52 EST
Just got back from visiting my 69.....God what a mess!!
The reason there was no external evidence was that the head gasket had
blown between #1 and #2 at its very thinnest point- and the subsequent
heat did indeed crack the head massively and the block slightly - right
at this point where there isnt any cooling which i imagine accounts for
the apparent lack of overheating evidence.
None of the guys at my friends shop had seen this simultaneously before
either so it likely is as unusual as many of you thought. The gasket was
also about to fail between #3 and #4 by the look of it but this may have
been cosmetic...
Nobody had any real idea about how and why this might have happened other
than sheer dumb un-luck
Anyway, the thing is fried....geficht, geneuked, geknackered!
My thanks to all of you who have offered parts from all over the country,
its heartening that not only are there plenty out there but that the
"fraternity" is so willing to assist.
A good friend from the Long Island club happened to have just the right
thing and was more than fair about what he wanted for it so with a little
luck the car should be up and running again before the new year.
Again my thanks to all for the suggestions and the offers...

mikr robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley