Bearings and Crank

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bearings and Crank
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:30:05 -0800
Hi all - just a follow up to my message of last night.

I got the #3 piston out no drama. Appears ok - no visible damage. The
big end bearing mating surface on the top part of the rod appears to
have 1-2 tiny pits in the surface. The bottom half of the rod has a bit
more damage. The crank itself appears to have a 1-2 ultra tiny ridges on
the top of the crank (felt with my finger), the surface itself that I
can see, doesn't appear to have any visible pits, ridges etc but my
major problem is my inexperience - I don't know what I'm looking at and
whether it's good or bad.

I hear everyone saying pull the motor - total rebuild. I guess I'll have
to do this - I was intending to do this in a couple of months for
racing, problem is if I do this now my car's registration will run out
and I'll have to go through the local drama's of Blue Slips (thorough
inspection where the local jerks nit pick the heck out of your car in an
excuse the thrash it around the block) - which aint fun I tell you with
30 yr old cars. I had wanted it to be running so I could get it
re-registered (Pink Slip - easy) and then do the work on the engine. Oh
well, looks like that option has gone!

I think I'll shoot some pics of the conrod bits, the 3/4 length of the
top half of the bearing that was still there, and some shots of the
crank surface too. Maybe y'all can let me know how bad the damage
actually is.

What I want to know is why the heck did this bearing decided to nuke
itself immediately after my two weeks of carb rebuilding.... *SOB* I
didn't even get to play with my new toy!!!!... lol! :)

Cheers,
Neil.