Re: brief Guiness history lesson(was Beers of the world)...longish

To: <H4aardvrk@aol.com>, <Chris.Nevard@BSKYB.COM>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: brief Guiness history lesson(was Beers of the world)...longish
From: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 00:34:18 -0800
Beer sloshing around in the cargo hold of a ship?......

Actually, brewing companies are businesses, and they are not dumb.  They
employ the same market survey bean counters as any other business.  If they
determine that a particular market has a high demand for lighter beers,
(Budweiser?...ugh) they will adjust their recipe accordingly to have the
best chance to gain a market share foothold in that region.
The reason that Guiness tastes different in the UK than in the States is
that it is a completely different batch of brew.
All the hype in the adverts about hundreds of years old recipes is just
that.
When I lived in Bemidji Minnesota, just a stone's throw from the Canadian
border, I used to enjoy several of the Canadian brews.  When I moved to
California, I was sorely disappointed the first time I bought a sixpack of
Molson at the local store.  Completely different beer.
(LBC content) How close in character are a UK spec 75 MGB and a North
American spec 75 MGB...?

Scott Pontius
'78 MGB V8 (all British)
Brewer of Marine House Ale #5, the Finest Ale in Kuwait (well, almost the
only ale in Kuwait...)