Way Off-Topic -- passive solar heating

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Way Off-Topic -- passive solar heating
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D Arnold)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:50:51 -0600
My apologies in advance for wandering so far afield on this one....

Thought I might draw on the vast and varied knowledge of the list -- I am
working on a project that involves being able to prove that the
temperature inside a closed vehicle during the summer is substantially
higher than outside.  Given the number of warnings we hear each summer
about not leaving kids or animals inside a locked vehicle, you'd think
that there would be a quantifiable source for this, but there doesn't
appear to be.

I understand that this is called passive solar heating, and is similar to
the greenhouse effect.  I also understand that there are a number of
different factors that come into play.  What I am looking for is a
formula or published table from a reputable source that says that if it
is X degrees outside a car, on the average it will be Y degrees inside
the car.  If a formula is used, I need to be able to authenticate it.

The only facts I have is that the outside temperature reached a high of
85 degrees F, the humidity was  was 80%, and the car was gold with a tan
interior.  It sat in one spot, unshaded, from 3:30 am (outside temp 70
F), through 3:00 pm (85 F) ( the outside temp reached 80 F by noon that
day).

I already checked with assorted animal rights groups (made sense at the
time).

Any suggestions?

Rich Arnold
Council Bluffs, Iowa