Re: Engine Feed Back in Radio

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Dennis.Berman.dberman@nt.com
Subject: Re: Engine Feed Back in Radio
From: s4usea@fanniemae.com (Scott Allen)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:25:16 -0500

Dennis.Berman.dberman asks:

>    When the engine is running, the engine's RPMs can clearly
>    be heard only in the rear speakers. The feedback is not
>    evident in the front speakers.

I ran into this problem on my '74 Alfa Spider a few years ago.  The
hoops I had to jump through to fix it may or may not apply to your MG.

Had two amps and two 150watt tubes in the trunk that'd humm right
along with the engine rpm, along with the seperates in the doors.

To cut to the chase though, the noise was coming off the alternator.
The fuel pump on the Alfa is in back, just forward of the fuel tank.
There was a power line that ran directly to the alternator from it.

So, moved the speaker wires to the side of the car opposite the alternator.
Picked up a couple of noise filters from Radio Shack, one for the
Alternator, and another in-line for the speakers.

Problem solved.

Good luck.

Scott