Speedo Fun

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedo Fun
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:49:06 -0800
Hello!  Finally got my speedo out, used a pair of pliers to turn the cable
nut a bit at a time, I guess the angle just wasn't letting my fingers get
enough of a grab on it.

A while back I posted about my mystery speedo. My car is a 1966 MGB with
a top-fill OD 4 sync trannie which indicates to me its the early 68-74
'Black Label' LH type.  My files indicate it should be mated to a
speedometer with 1280 turns per mile.  My odometer reads 20% fast and
1060 x 1.20 = 1272 which seems to solve that mystery.  So I need a 1280
speedo.  What were the tpm for the early trans (D type) OD and non-OD?

There is a question here :)  My dash is of course the early type with big
beautiful 4" (100mm) gauges.  Can you even get 1280 speedos in that size??
Does the 'abingdon pillow' North America spec dash use the same size
speedo, or perhaps I could get one for the UK spec Mark II dash as it
stayed the same.  I know they got smaller at some point.

Thanks,
Skye

PS: I think the speedo I have now, the 1060, is from a Midget.
PPS: I've cleaned and reconnected the panel light dimmer and put in the
brighter Radio Shack #50 bulbs.  Wow they are bright!  Mike's lasted what,
8 months before one blew lets see how long mine last.

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key