RE: HC vs LC

To: "'Neil Cotty'" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: HC vs LC
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:58:32 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:

> Is the only difference between LC and HC motors the size
> of the Combustion Chamber volume?

No difference in Combustion Chamber volume between HC/LC.

> Bently says it's between 42.5cc and 43.5cc but doesn't
> actually say why - I'm guessing it's HC vs LC.

Manufacturing specs ... IOW, 43cc +/- .5cc

> I guess the head itself would be the same dimensions
> because if it was skimmed surely the pushrods would be
> different between a HC and LC motor, throwing the valve
> geometry off - maybe not I don't know - perhaps I've
> been reading too many blueprinting books. <G>

You got it ... same dimensions.  (Well there is a differnce
in dimensions between the 18G and 18V heads ... 18V is not
as thick with a smaller volume ... but still nothing to do
with the difference between the HC/LC.

> Was there a difference in the pistons used? Was there a
> bigger dish on the LC motors?

Yep ...

> Rick quotes the LC motors as having a 12.8cc piston dish
> but he doesn't have the figures on the HC engine.. I'm
> just guessing it's purely the Combustion chamber size..

Nope ... do the math ... a 1cc variance isn't gonna do it
... MGB HC pistons have 6.25cc dish MGA HC piston have no dish.

> Inform me! <G> Enquiring minds want to know. <VBG>

Informed? ... ;^)

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII