Re: MGA Tires

Subject: Re: MGA Tires
From: "Dave Ahrendt" <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:28:36 -0500
Barney said:

"When new, all MGA had bias ply tires and inner tubes.  The steel disk
wheels are sealed, so if you use the fatter Ford style valve stem you can
use tubless tires."

I had always thought this to be true; but...  A fwe months ago I got the
BMHT build certificate for my '59 MGA roadster (HDR4366520).  Other
than annoying me by listing that they had no record of the engine number or
body number they noted that it was built with tubeless tires, heater, and
w/s
washer.

Maybe it was some special option.  Unfortunately my car doesn't have all its
original wheels - I have two 1500 style and two 1600 style on the car.  I
have not
looked closely to see if the bead is different between the two.

I know that Rick Smith (the technical guru of the T-Register) is absolutely
sure
that you are driving a death mobile if you run tubeless tires in TD/F series
or MGAs.
Now I'm not so sure.

Dave
'46 MG-TC