Re: Sterring Rack

To: "Scott Regel" <SRegel@dpra.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sterring Rack
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 19:32:56 -0000
When replacing an energy-absorbing column you need to align the column with
the rack.  The manuals specify using an alignment gauge which consists of
two conical caps that fit over the ends of the two shafts in place of the
UJ.  I used a piece of stiff wire wrapped round the end of each shaft with
one end brought out past the end of the shaft.  Secure the rack to the cross
member, and secure the column in approximately the centre of its up-and-down
and side-to-side travel.  By spinning each shaft you can tweak the wire so
the free end rotates at a fixed point in space and doesn't wobble as it
rotates.  When you have done this the free end is in line with the centre of
its relevant shaft.  Now position the column so that its wire almost touches
the wire on the rack shaft.  If you can spin both shafts and the ends of the
wires remain at the same distance from each other at all times, the shafts
are aligned.

For completeness, the manuals describe aligning non-energy-absorbing columns
as securing the column, then the UJ, then checking for gaps between the rack
and the cross-member and fitting shims to suit.

PaulH.