Re: Engine rebuild

To: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:05:55 -0800
H4aardvrk@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/22/98 10:00:14 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> stargazer1@home.com writes:
>
> << have a "fast road" cam from British Motorsports in my '69 GT. I'm
>  pretty sure it's similar to the Kent Fast Road cam. >>
> Dave,
>     Does your B easily pass the federal emmisions laws with you 'fast road
> cam"?

        Yes.  According to the local test station,  it was one of the cleanest
B's they had measured.

        Unless the cam has a lot of overlap between the exhaust and intake
cycles, there shouldn't be a problem.  However, I don't have stock
pistons either and if the 4 ring pistons do a better job of keeping oil
out of the combustion chamber, then they would have a major and
beneficial effect on the emissions.

        Incidently, this cam is nowhere near "wild."  It idles smoothly and the
engine shows reeasonable torque throughout its range.  It is optimised
for freeway cruising speeds, to some minor expense of the lower revs.

> In Colorado, the test stations are not the least bit familiar with the lay out
> of most of the smog equipment on a B engine..they are very aware of what their
> computer tells them at the end of a test,however..it passes and gets a sticker
> or it fails and gets rejected from the road until other things are done.
>   So, does your fast cam B engine pass the federal emmision laws?..I am very
> interested in this..I have a 1974 Bgt that is going to be rebuilt this spring
> and i would like to know how the fast cams work in the smog test..if you
> could, could you send me your test result numbers to compare with my standard
> engine results??

        I don't think I have those numbers available.  If I need to get it
smogged when we re-register, I'll send them on to you.

        Regards,
        Dave Ambrose