Re: Alternator Light - Pulses?

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>, <wizardz@amdyne.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Light - Pulses?
From: "teds" <teds@accessone.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 09:45:13 -0800
be all that as it may, it is simpler to remember that the mgb alternator has
a built in regulator.  this internal regulator determines if the dc voltage
at it's output terminal is higher than what it is producing and sources a
voltage to the indicator light terminal if this is so. there are 3
terminals, a gnd, a large connector to the battery, and a connector to the
indicator light, which is mislabeled 'ignition'. I think the moss catalog
actually has a picture of the alternator connector

(do carefully check the fanbelt  btw). any pulsing is usually a shorted or
leaky diode. These are replaced in a pack. This can occur at higher
electrical loads btw.

I find these alternators very sensitive to jump starts and any other arcing
on the frame of the car. I have had the car jump started or used it to jump
start someone and occasionally found the alt. whacked directly after. the
diode pack is available from Moss as well as the regulator. There should be
no voltage at all on a properly operating alternator regardless of make on
the indicator light terminal, and I believe regardless of the  actual dc
voltage. I suppose that if someone had been radically altering your wiring
right before this, or your battery developed a strange high impedance cell,
(your electrical system would be working very very strangely), you might
produce some results like this, but if that were the case usually the car
wouldn't start in the first place. I really dislike that wimpy ground
connection at the battery location myself.

there is a lot of text in various places on putting a higher output bosch or
GM alternator in it's place,  (either would outlast the car). then again I
have seen ads for used Lucas alternators for 35-50$ US. you could simply
take it out and take it to any decent auto parts store and ask them to hook
it up to the test jig and they'll tell you the results, it is a very
classical type of system.