RE: Bumper removal - MGA 1600 Roadster

To: Eric Stephen <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: RE: Bumper removal - MGA 1600 Roadster
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:40:30 -0800
Eric:
        I can answer this one from personal experience.  Yesterday I removed
the bumpers from my 58 MGA.  First I took a cutting torch and flamed off all
the bolt heads on the outside of the bumpers.  Then I took the torch and cut
through the over-rider mounting bolts on the front bumper.  The bumpers
could then be prised from the bumper irons.  Removal of the front bumper
irons was complicated because the frame supports were pointing in strange
directions.  A hammer solved that problem.  Storage of the rear bumper was
made easier by using the torch to cut it in half.  Once the bumper was off,
the valence was removed by snapping the heads off all the little bolts.
Some prying was necessary.  The valence was folded for storage, some jumping
up and down allowed it to fit tidily in the same receptacle as the bumpers.

        Sorry folks, this is tongue in cheek.  But there was not a lot of
salvagable bumper bits on my car.

Kelvin.