We have ignition!

Subject: We have ignition!
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:06:25 -0800
Oh happy daze!

My daughter and I fired the MG for the first time in a looong time
today.  We cleared out a stuck Grose Jet in the rear carb. It would run
on a spritz of starting fluid, then quit.  Put new gas in the tank with
some gas treatment.  Same problem.  Swap the plugs and still no change.
My wife comes out to give it a try. Starts right up.

OK, after some running I can see that the mixture is off, and the carbs
are waaay out of sync.

These carbs were rebuilt with new throttle shafts and bushings.  What
are some decent initial settings for the mixture?  I seem to remember
that setting the idle screws at contact plus 2 turns is an adequate
initial setting.  Is this right?

Now, I'm looking forward to some nice drives in the mountains -- if I
can get it away from my daughter.  :-)

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose