suspension lowering

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: suspension lowering
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:20:39 -0500
Now I am not holding myself out as the suspension guru for MG's, but my
mentor, best friend till his passing, mechanic, etc was Tim Mountjoy. He
won many regional E production titles racing a B, & helped me set up my
V8 roadster for autocrossing.

His advice, proven to work, was to soften the rear suspension, not add
to the spring rate. After lowering my '77 to CB height, using de-arched
rear springs, & raising the front mounting to the CB location, we added
a 3/4" Addco sway bar in front, poly bushings everywhere, & removed the
rear sway bar. It was a good thing at the raised height, but not when
lowered.

For CB cars, he again used the 3/4" Addco front sway bar, stock rear
springs & shocks, uprated front shocks, & maybe Turn Six front springs,
at a higher spring rate than stock.

If the rear is too stiff, it will skate right out from under you, bumps
will unsettle you in the turns.

Maybe Lawrie will add advice to this thread.

Jim Stuart