Re: Lowering.

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: Lowering.
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 22:28:59 EST
In a message dated 12/31/98 2:45:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

<< But I also remember them not hanging in very long when they
 were in new MGBs' (I'm a little young for MGAs'). >>

Me too, but I did buy my first one at 18, when the car was only 12 years old
(still have it, too).

<< Part of the problem was
 incorrect installation and misassembled A arms.  The rubber is supposed to
 bond to the inner and outer surfaces in regular position.  The rubber would
 then twist to allow the movement.  If the rubber does not bond, or if the
 assembly is tightened on the rack with the tires in the air the system does
 not work.   >>

I suppose that this could happen even at the factory.
I remember a friend building a race car that went through _all_ of the Bugeye
front suspension bits that the local warehouse had (this was in the 70s)
before he found some that were close enough to being in line that they
wouldn't seize up and not move when assembled with rigid bushings instead of
the rubber ones. The factory may have had machining tolerances in mind as well
as ride compliance when they specced the softer rubber bushes - Triumph, for
instance, used a combination of steel and plastic, and little Triumphs (you
know - Spitwires - the secretary's dream) used metalastics, many of which
carried over into my TVR, and were notably better than stock MG.

Bill