Re: MGs & old fartdom in Blighty

To: "Nevard, Chris" <Chris.Nevard@BSKYB.COM>
Subject: Re: MGs & old fartdom in Blighty
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 11:27:30 +0000
Hi Chris,

>From my year and a half in Blighty, it sounds like you're describing most older
Londoners.  However, I know what you mean about creeping old fogeyism in MG
clubs.  Of course in my day... um, er...

I've belonged to the San Diego MG Club on and off (mostly on) since '79, and
back then, the cars were newer and the owners were a lot younger.  Except me, I
haven't aged a day ;-).

In '79, I bought my car as transportation and so did everyone else in the club.
There were people who drove MGA's as daily drivers.  Most club events were
driving events: slaloms, rallyes, etc.  Now most events are polishing, admiring
and buying opportunities.  When the club does have driving events, people bring
their Lexi and Range Rovers.  We used to go to the Blarney Stone Pub for natter
& noggin after meetings and now they go to an ice cream shop.  If anyone got too
drunk and smashed their car on the way home from the pub, oh well, you could get
another running B for $300.

About the time I joined, the car polishers split off and formed the San Diego
"T" Register (splitters!).  Back then, those people were almost exactly like the
people you describe and we who drove our cars sneered at them.  A few years ago,
I knew it was all up for the SDMGC when we started having joint events with the
"T" Register.

If you think about it, our B's, C's, Midgets, and 1100's are now as old as the
T's were then.  Maybe it's inevitable that when cars get to be thirty years old,
the people who own them become pompous and forget how to have a good time.  I
love to hear stories from people like Barney who still really drive older cars
and our friends down below who sound like they're having a lot of fun.

I know what you mean about younger members not feeling welcome.  Recently,
whenever a kid would show up to a meeting with his newly purchased ratty MGB or
Midget, we were all happy that the younger generation was getting involved but
we didn't get chummy with them.  They were just starting out and we liked to
think that we'd arrived.  I grown inwardly when I remember the days of having to
choose between two $100 parts that the car needed because I couldn't afford
both.  Maybe people just don't want to be reminded of those days.

Okay, that's enough pontificating from me.  Maybe owning cars over 30 years old
really does cause incurable pompousness. ;-)

Have a happy new year!

Denise Thorpe
'67 B, daily driver
'67 B, project car
2 '63 MG 1100's, backup cars and parts runners
and nothin' else