Re: Year Zero

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Year Zero
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 00:56:48 -0500
At 01:06 AM 1/2/99 EST, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
> <<It will not be the 21st Century until 1/1/2001. not 1/1/2000. The 20th
> Century did not start until 1/1/1901. Or do we have just 99 years this
> Century??>
>
><Oh, really?   You are assuming that the year number refers to the number of
>years that have been completed.  It actually refers to the year that we are
>in.  Yes, the 2000th year will begin in the year 2000.
>Ray G>>
>
>OK, once more slowly. There is no year zero. The first year of the Christian
>era (regardless of when JC may or may not have been born) was year 1.
>At the end of year 1, we have completed one year. Are you all with me so far,
>because it gets complicated now?
>
>By extrapolation, at the end of year 2000, we will have completed the 2000th
>year (I know this might seem obvious , but some people have trouble with it),
>ie we will then, at midnight on Dec. 31, enter the 2001st year, and the 21st
>century. Which is, I believe, exactly what Larry (correctly) said.
>
>So you are right in saying that we will be in the 2000th year in the year
>2000, but you failked to make the leap and realize that that year, and the
>century, and the millennium, will only be over on Dec. 31.
>
>Everyone got it?  Good.
>
>Bill S.

Sorry, I believe Bill is right. Although common conviction may argue that
the celebration takes place when the digits roll over, ( something like the
odometer turning back after100,000 miles) , what is correct is correct.
Anyone who has watched Jeopardy knows this is a favorite question
(answer?). The year 1900 was in the 19th Century. Gee , our century is
named for the year 2000.

The best part, is we get to celebrate twice, the year the digits change,
and the year after when we enter the 21st Century. ( I wonder when 20th
Century Fox will change their name)  I am all for two celebrations. Maybe
Andy Rooney should get into this discussion.

Mike