Handling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Handling
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 99 19:35:34 PST
Reading Kelvin Dodd's latest comments on "Re: Suspension Lowering",
I thought about the term "handling".  Knowing people who think
"handling" means "ride comfort", I think there are some points that
should be made to all those who want to improve their MG's handling.

There are some questions that should be asked:

1)  What do I want my MG to do?  Be fun and predictable on corners?
Be spectacular on a skid-pad?  Win the SCCA Runoffs?

-You've got to have a goal when it comes to improving anything.

2)  How much do I understand the concept of automotive handling?

-If you don't know what you're talking about you're not going to get
very far.  If you want to mod your suspension and don't know what
understeer and oversteer mean, do some research.  You might save
some money and learn a few things.

3)  What is the present state of my suspension?

-A lot of folks think they need to spend big money on mods but
the reality is their suspension is just plain worn out.

4)  What do I know about driving?

-Some driving theory can go a long way to improve the "handling"
of any car.  I've seen folks who can extract everything an MG can
offer, and other folks that shouldn't be allowed to operate a
bicycle without supervision.

5)  What kind of tyres am I willing to pay for?

-Putting every suspension gimmick in the Moss catalog on your MG
isn't going to help much if you keep running on $99 for a set of 4
"road handlers" or whatever else.  There is a big difference in tyre
compounds and so forth.  Cheap tyres are, well, cheap.  Some tyres
have more stick.  Period.  Wanna blast down the twisties embarrassing
every Porsche you've seen?  Well, there's all sorts of R compound DOT
approved tyres that'll let you do it, but don't expect 'em to last
more than a few thousand miles or work well in the wet.  Again, do
some research.

6)  How much time and I willing to spend to get it right?

-Suspension tuning is just that:  tuning.  You are modifying a system
that some guys called engineers spent some time designing.  They didn't
just go to a catalog and pick out parts.  Every length, adjustment, spring
and shock rate is there for a reason.  That doesn't mean you can't make it
"better" (or at least better for your application), but it does mean
that you can't expect to just bolt parts on.  If you want proof, come
spend a weekend with me while I try different toe settings.

None of this is meant to put anybody down.  Just remember, there's a
lot more to the car/road interface than just bolt-on goodies.  Tuning,
tyres, driver, all of it comes in to play, and all of it must be
perfect if you want "perfect" handling.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                                  http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/