Re: Handling

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Handling
From: "MSLishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:30:39 -0500

> Michael.........
>
> Can you be serious? Moving the battery (which weighs what, six pounds
or
> so?) makes a noticeable difference in handling?

Oops...Did I forget to mention that I use a marine battery?  It's one
massive battery, definitely not a group 26 or whatever fits into the
factory bins.  What it weighs, I don't know, but it's more than six
lbs.

> If your car is set up that sensitively, I presume you fill up with
gas every
> time you've used one gallon? After all, since the B takes 12 gallons
or so
> the difference in rear end weight (and the tank is about as far back
as one
> can go in a B) between an almost empty tank and a full one must
really screw
> up your car's handling!

I don't really know.  I've never done any type of reliable tests on two
'B's for any type of handling.  I just noticed that the car breaks
traction a little more easily when the tank is less than full.  Maybe I
pull out only on gravel when my tank gets below 1/2?  <G>

Honestly, these are just seat of the pants results that seemed to be
constant.  But, as pro wrestling and Shakespeare have shown us, things
are not always as they seem.  Your argument to Barney makes sense, but
at the same time, I'd like to think that any weight moved to another
spot would affect handling, even if it's not really noticeable...

Or maybe my seat is a little more sensitive?  <G>

I trust your judgement Lawrie...

Mike Lishego
1974 MGB
1986 Plymouth Turismo 2.2