Points Gap and Timing (2Q)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 20:32:55 -0800
Hello!  Spent a good chunk of the day with the car.  Its up on my site if
you want the gory details.  I ended up with some questions that perhaps
someone could shed some light on:

1. I used a dwell meter to set the angle to 60 deg but now the points gap
seems much smaller than spec, like half of 0.015".  Is this normal or
indicitive of something?  Worn out points perhaps?  They do look a bit
tarnished.

2. Once I got the dwell to 60 deg I had to rotate the dizzy clockwise until
it wouldn't turn clockwise any more and I'm still advanced (timing light
shows about 5 BTDC and I'm aiming for at least 10).  What gives?  Can
it be turned more or is there something else?

I was thinking today about how great this list is.  I wouldn't know half of
the things I now know about my car if it weren't for mgs@.

Skye :)

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key