Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)

To: REwald9535@aol.com
Subject: Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 23:21:35 -0800
Word on the street is that REwald9535@aol.com said:
> 2.  Wait a minute here, 5 degrees is retarded from 10 degrees.  The full
> statement is 10 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).  Top dead center is
> when #1 is at the absolute top of it stroke.  The ten degrees refers to how
> many crankshaft degrees (before or sometimes after) TDC the spark fires.  So 5
> degrees BTDC would be less advanced than 10 degrees BTDC.

But aren't the degrees for BTDC measured BACK from TDC, hence a spark firing
at 10 degrees BTDC would occurr *before* a spark at 5 degrees BTDC, therefore
5 deg is more advanced (along the stroke) than 10 deg BTDC.

> If after you have adjusted the dwell correctly if the timing is out too far
> then the distributor needs to be loosened and turned until all the marks line
> up.

OK. I'll try and turn it more, but it sure seems like its at a 'limit'.

> I suspect that your dist. has a lot of play in the shaft and when you set the
> dwell with a meter instead of a feeler gauge it moves past the amount that you
> can adjust with the "dizzy"

I was worried about a worn distributor shaft as well, but the timing marks
are rock solid with the strobe, as is the dwell angle.

Thanks
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key