Life abhors a vacuum

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Life abhors a vacuum
From: "Thomas J Noto" <tnoto@itmassociates.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:55:08 -0500

Thanks for all the responses to my newbie post. This seems like a very
responsive group of people. I'm still in the process of sorting through my Dad's
'71 B, after it sat through a 5 year coma. To recap, I've replaced the coil,
rotor, cap, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and I'm going to do the points and
condenser tonight. I've also replaced the HS4s with brand new ones from Moss.
Boy, are they ever beautiful! I have yet to try to tune the carbs, with a great
fear of screwing them up.

Right now, the engine won't even run, even after it has warmed up, unless it is
given a lot of choke. It idles (if you can call it that) only above 2000 rpm via
the choke. Throttle response is decent with a lot of choke, but if I put the
choke knob in, the motor revs VERY slowly up the tach. Am I right in thinking
that this could be caused by a vacuum leak? I replaced the gaskets behind the
carbs, and the worse looking of the evaporation-collection hoses, but that is
about it. I cant find anything else that looks loose or dried out.

Where are the usual vacuum leaks on these cars? My Haynes manual doesn't even go
into it. My next step is to replace all of the rubber hoses that might be
remotely related to vacuum. I'm also thinking of pulling the carbs off again and
replacing the manifold gasket and the spacer gaskets. What do you guys think?

On a related note, where is the vacuum advance supposed to connect to on the
motor? When we bought the car, it was connected to the intake manifold. The rear
carb that was previously on the car, which had a spring loaded needle, BTW, did
NOT have a vacuum port on the top of the throttle body. The new carb does have a
vacuum port in that location. Right now, I've got the carb port capped. Should
the vacuum advance be connected to this port? Or, if not, what should be
connected there?

TIA,

Tom